What You Need to Know about Walmart truck driver jobs, or how can you start driving trucks for Walmart?
Walmart vehicles are one of the largest and safest in the trucking industry. They possess close to 10,000 drivers hauling freight more than 700 million miles every year. It has the lowest turnover rate and most drivers leave due to retirement. It is relatively a wonderful job.
The process of getting the job happens to be grueling and it has a lot of requirements. Despite this, it is still a dream job for many truckers. If you want to drive for Walmart and you believe to have what it takes, keep reading to get everything you need to know to become one of them.
What are the jobs of Walmart Truck Drivers?
There are a few types of truck driving jobs available at Walmart. Some of these include:
- CDL Class A truck driver: They deliver stock to Walmart.
- Sam’s Club stores: They are across the country from regional distribution centers.
Truck drivers for Walmart normally drive around 300miles per haul and must live 250 miles within the distribution center they are applying to. If they do not live within that range and still want the job, they must be willing to relocate.
Walmart also happens to hire local drivers who stick to smaller areas of travel. These drivers are guaranteed daily home time. They get paid lower than the average salary of $75,000 but the same employee benefits apply. There are also other local drivers like:
- City drivers: they work within a city.
- Yard drivers: they work on the property.
Available Truck Driver jobs at Walmart
Walmart has its stores and warehouses in different locations and districts. Here is a list showing some of the jobs currently available at Walmart and their locations. Check them out to see whichever is nearest to you. Or you would be willing to relocate for.
- Truck Driver-MARCY NY
- Truck Driver-MEBANE NC.
- Truck Driver-MENOMONIE WI.
- Truck Driver-PALESTINE TX.
- Truck Driver-RAYMOND NH.
- Truck Driver-POTTSVILLE PA.
- Truck Driver-PLAINVIEW TX.
- Truck Driver – Plainfield IN.
- Truck Driver-NEW BRAUNFELS TX.
- Truck Driver-OPELOUSAS LA.
- Truck Driver-ROBERT LA.
- Truck Driver-MIDWAY TN.
- Truck Driver-OPELIKA AL.
- Truck Driver-OTTAWA KS.
- Truck Driver-OLNEY IL.
- Truck Driver-PAGELAND SC.
- Truck Driver-RED BLUFF CA.
- Truck Driver-PORTERVILLE CA.
- Truck Driver-BENTONVILLE AR.
- Truck Driver – BETHLEHEM PA.
- Truck Driver-CORINNE UT.
- Truck Driver-CHEYENNE WY.
- Truck Driver-CENTRALIA WA.
- Truck Driver – BRUNDIDGE AL.
- Truck Driver-ALACHUA FL.
- Truck Driver-WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE OH.
- Truck Driver-WOODLAND PA.
- Truck Driver-NORTH PLATTE NE.
- Truck Driver-OCHELATA OK.
- Truck Driver-SANGER TX.
- Truck Driver-SAINT JAMES MO.
- Truck Driver-SEALY TX.
- Truck Driver-BUCKEYE AZ.
- Truck Driver-FORT PIERCE FL.
- (USA) Yard Driver – On Property.
With the number of jobs listed, it is obvious to see that there is a shortage of truck drivers in the country which means your chances of getting the job is high.
But the competition is also high because of how high paying it is. If you could not find your district within the list, feel free to visit the Walmart careers center to check for yours.
Requirements to become a Walmart Truck Driver
Knowing where to get the job is only the beginning. You also need to know the requirements before applying so as not to waste your own time.
Walmart is strict with its rules and regulations despite its awesome benefits. So, to qualify ensure you have all the following or work on getting them.
- An Interstate (Class A) Commercial Driver’s License with Hazmat endorsement (including cleared background check) or get a HAZMAT endorsement (with cleared background check) the latest 120 days after the day you get the job.
- At least two and a half years of experience working in a full-time Class A tractor/trailer driving position in the last 4 years.
- At most two (2) moving violations while driving a personal or commercial vehicle within the last three (3) years.
- There have been no serious traffic violations while driving a commercial vehicle in the last three (3) years.
- No DUI, DWI, OUI, or reckless driving involving alcohol/drugs convictions in the last ten (10) years.
- There have been no preventable accidents while driving a commercial vehicle in the last three (3) years.
- No accident resulting in getting treatment at a hospital or any medical center within the last 10 years that could’ve been prevented, while driving a commercial vehicle.
- No preventable accidents result in a fatality or catastrophic injury in driving history (commercial motor vehicle).
Walmart’s management is very strict so ensure you have everything before applying to avoid a situation.
Benefits of Driving Truck with Walmart
Walmart is just like every organization. Despite all its strict jobs policy, there are still pros to working or driving trucks with Walmart. Not only will you be getting paid an incredibly high amount, but you also have:
- Benefits from Day One
- Earn PTO immediately—up to 21 days in your first year.
- 401 (k), medical and dental health insurance.
- Life insurance and short-term disability.
- Four paid safety days every year.
- Payment for Everything
- Leading industry pay (highest paid in the industry).
- Activity, training, and mileage allowance from the hire day.
- Quarterly bonuses for safe driving.
- Being paid $42.00 for a DOT 10-hour break.
- Weekly Home Time
- No split days off—consecutive days of work.
- Different schedules are available to work with.
- Deliveries within the region and at home every week.
- The Tools to Succeed
- You can replace new tractors after driving 525,000 miles.
- Condominium sleepers (except day cabs).
- Fully equipped facility staff available for daily on-site maintenance.
- Qualified maintenance technicians.
How to apply for jobs in Walmart as a Truck Driver
The best place to find jobs is on the Walmart career website. There you can see a list of available jobs exactly like the ones listed above. The steps to take to apply on the website are:
- First search for “Drive4Walmart” on google.
- Look for the “Drivers and Transportation” section.
- Open it to see a list of open OTR truck driving positions available in various locations.
- Click on a job at the location you are interested in, there you will see the qualifications required to land the job.
- Ensure you have everything then click on “Apply”.
- That button will take you to Walmart’s online application system. Register an account before completing the application.
- Answer all questions asked and provide every detail requested.
- Upload your résumé and revise everything.
- After making sure you’ve input the right details, hit submit.
Note: After hitting submit you cannot change anything so be sure to revise properly.
Walmart will send you a notification to either come in for an interview or tell you they have selected another candidate for the position.
If you do not get the job, you can still apply for other positions available at Walmart. Your application will be in their system for two months before removal.
How long before I get a response to my résumé?
Response time differs with location. It can be as quick as a day or if a week. Just be patient.
How much is my starting salary at Walmart?
This can range between $95,000 USD to $110,000 USD.