Claim a Tax Refund at

After you have been sent the total amount of how much tax you must pay, still you might be paying over tax. If you have paid too much tax, you can easily apply to claim a tax refund (rebate) at After the end of every year, a random tax calculation is done for everyone, for example, if you have been paying too much or too little tax.

Claim a Tax Refund

At the end of the tax year, HMRC will send every individual a P800 or a Simple Assessment tax calculation. When you get hold of the P800 or Simple Assessment, you will find out how you can get a refund on too much tax paid.

But if you have registered for Self-Assessment, you would get a P800 or Simple Assessment, your bill will be automatically adjusted and roll over any unpaid or overpaid tax.

Services Available to Claim a Tax Refund

Below are the available services you can claim a refund for if you have paid too much tax;

  • Pay from your current or previous job.
  • Pension payment.
  • Income from a life or pension annuity.
  • Redundancy payment.
  • A Self-Assessment tax return.
  • Interest from Savings or PPI.
  • Foreign income.
  • UK income if you live abroad.
  • Fuel costs or work clothing for your job.

Requirements Needed to Claim a Refund

There is some specific information you must provide when you want to claim your too much-paid tax. Below are;

  • Your employer’s PAYE reference number – this is on your P60.
  • Details of any taxable income you received, including taxable benefits.

Note, that it is not possible to claim too much tax online for someone else, it can only be claimed individually. Also, you need to make use of a web browser, with and working internet connection.

How to Claim a Tax Refund if you have Paid too Much

When you want to claim a tax refund, it depends on when or the month you paid the tax. Also, the year you paid the tax if it is over a year you will need to claim a tax refund online. Then follow the below steps;

  • Open your web browser.
  • Visit the Tax Refund website at
  • Scroll down and click on the “Start Now” button.
  • Choose from the displayed option, “What did you pay too much tax on”?
  • Select one and click on the Next step.
  • Choose from the option “When did you pay the tax”?
  • And click on next.

Note it depends on when you choose you pay the tax, if it is in the current year, it will take you to the next page. You will be asked if you have got a P800 letter from HMRC. Then choose from the option that says “Yes or No”.

If you have gotten a P800 letter from HMRC all you need to do is to fill out the form. But, if you haven’t yet got your P800 letter, you still need to wait for one or two months and the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will post you a P800 tax calculation.

But if it has been long, over a year or two years, you will have to request a tax refund online with the Government Gateway platform at

How to Claim Your Tax Refund Online?

You will need to access your online account by signing in using Government Gateway, which is your user ID and password.

  • Visit the website URL
  • Enter your 12 Government Gateway user ID.
  • Next is your password.
  • Then click on the “Sign In” button.

After you have logged in to your Government Gateway account, follow the onscreen prompt instructions to complete your claim online.

Other ways to claim your refund?

If you think you have overpaid tax, you can also Call or Write to the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and explain why you think so. But you will need to provide some base documents like;

  • Your National Insurance Number.
  • Details of the jobs you had or state the benefits you were getting at that time you paid for tax.
  • And your P45, only if you have one.

For further requirements, you need to include your account number and sort code for HMRC to send you money to your bank account each time you make a claim.


What should I do after I Request a Refund?

After you have claimed a refund, HMRC will do one of the below;

  • HMRC will contact you to provide more information on your claim.
  • They will let you know if you are due for a refund or if you are not due, and state why.
  • They will refund you either by cheque or pay you directly into your bank account.
  • If you have nominated someone to help you get your money with their account, HMRC will send your refund directly into the nominee’s account.

Note HMRC pays tax refund claims to only UK bank accounts. If you don’t have a UK bank account you can make use of anyone’s account. They will help you receive the money into their account or help you cash the cheque.

When will I get my claimed refund?

You getting your claim, depends on how you have filled out the claim; if you have processed your claim with a cheque (or ‘Payable order’). Your claim will take 5 weeks to process.

And if you processed your claim expecting to get your payment into your bank account. Your claim will take 5 working days to process.

For claim, if your refund is for tax taken from your pay or pension, it takes up to 25 working days, when you have not got a P800 tax calculation.

What happens if you do not get your refund?

If you haven’t yet gotten the refund, you claim online, you need to wait for 5 weeks. And if you filled out your claim through the postal, before you contacted HMRC about your payment, you need to wait for 6 weeks.

Related Post; 

Oghwie Ufuoma
This post is authored by Oghwie Ufuoma (Harrison) A.K.A Harry, the founder and Admin of With nearly a decade of expertise in the sports sector, Harry started with Sportspaedia, providing up-to-date information on sports and tech-related topics, breaking news, and daily opportunities for Football/Soccer fans and online users.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here