What is Apple Airplay
Apple Airplay is a proprietary wireless technology that was developed by Apple for streaming content like videos, music, images, and other forms of media wirelessly between compatible devices. It is a service that Apple devices can make use of two-stream videos and audio. In this article, we will be discussing What is Apple AirPlay, and how it works.
Apple Airplay is also used for mirroring from Apple devices to Apple TV. Mirrored content can include content on the device or live streams of what is happening on the device screen. For example, one can Air play content from an iPhone, Mac, or iPad to an Airplay-compatible smart TV, Apple TV, or Speakers.
How Does Apple Airplay Work?
Apple Airplay allows you to stream music or movies from iTunes and your Apple device to any Airplay-enabled device on the same network. To engage AirPlay, tap the icon on your Apple device and share anything you want to share.
It could range from the latest movies, home videos, and vacation photos, to presentations. You can share these with your Apple TV or AirPlay-enabled smart TV.
How to Stream with Airplay
In the section above, we have given answers to the question “What is Apple Air Play, and how does it work? So, this segment of this article entails how you can stream content with Airplay. Read below to find out how.
- First, check if your iOS device is compatible with Airplay. You must have an iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 or later, or the iPod Touch 4G or later, to use the Airplay feature.
- Verify if you own a device like an Apple TV, AirPlay-compatible, or AirPort Express through which content can be streamed through Airplay.
- Then connect your iOS and Airplay device to the same Wi-Fi.
- Swipe up on the screen of your iOS device to open the control center.
- Then click on Airplay. When you click on it, it will display a list of AirPlay-compatible devices that are connected to your Wi-Fi network.
- Tap the device which you want to stream with.
- Go to the media you want to be streamed using Airplay. Then click on play.
The content will start playing on your AirPlay-compatible device.
How to Stream Video from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a TV
Videos are included among the content you can stream with AirPlay. So here, we will be learning how to stream videos from Apple devices to our TV.
- Connect your device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or your AirPlay-compatible TV.
- Then search for the video that you want to stream.
- Click the AirPlay icon.
- Note that in some apps, you may need to tap a different button first. For example, in the Photos app, you tap Share, then you tap AirPlay.
- Then select your Apple TV or Air Play-compatible smart TV.
If you intend to stop streaming, just click on AirPlay in the app that you are streaming from, then tap your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the list.
How to Mirror your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to Your Apple TV
We also said above that AirPlay can be used for mirroring from Apple devices to Apple TVs. So, we are going to see how it is done.
- First, connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV,
- Then open Control Center.
- On iPhone X or later or iPad with iPad 13 or later, you will have to swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
- If it is an iPhone 8 or earlier or iOS 11 or earlier, you will have to swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
- Then click Screen Mirroring.
- Choose your Apple TV or AirPlay-compatible smart TV from the list.
- If an AirPlay passcode appears on your TV screen, enter the passcode on your iOS or iPad device.
Also, to stop mirroring your iOS or iPad device, you need to open Control Center, then tap Screen Mirroring, and tap Stop Mirroring. Or you can press the Menu button on your Apple TV Remote.
Apple wants you to stream music and movies all over your home network. And they want you to do it wirelessly and of course without stress. Apple AirPlay is one way to do it. That is why you need to know What Apple AirPlay is and How it Works.